Monday 4 July 2016

What Does One Do To Get Noticed.



I once had a girlfriend. I was in high school and my sense of humour was in its development stages.  Anyway, she comes to school one day and I notice she had extracted all he front teeth. Problem was they were a beautiful set of teeth that did not need extracting. Well, at least I thought so. My comment at the time was the end to our little relationship. It went something like “damn, what some people do to attract attention”.

So here I am. Yes. Thats me. Yes, I know the picture's back to front.

 I’m all over the place. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, the works. My laptop even has a locater thingy that pops up ever so now and again. I’ve become half paranoid with the idea that aliens might be spying on me as I have my toast and coffee. I am NETWORKED. Well at least I think I am. I have “friends” or connections in all sorts of industries from media to social networking to motivational speakers the world over. Yet I feel like that skeleton sitting on the bench waiting for the world to change. Being on those networks and being connected has not meant anything to me at all. I am wracking my brain trying to find out what more I need to do attract attention. The “racist rant” thing seems to work quite well. That is simply not my style. Besides, it will be like doing the loaded gun Russian roulette exercise.  A nude selfie in the mirror on Facebook or Instagram will simply NOT have the desired effect. Seriously. Sending your Curriculum Vitae via email is like dropping a rock down one a deserted mine shaft and waiting for the splash. Phone calls are just never returned and the “we’ll call you” brigade rules. All the promises made makes Jacob Zuma look like a habitual deliverer. Therefore, what is it. What does one have to do to get the desired responses like a personalised mail or a call to say thanks but no thanks.

According to LinkedIn my profile is pretty damn good. It’s “all star”.  The blue circle indicates there is not much more I need to do to get right up there as far as I need to be to “attract attention”. I know there has been talk of content becoming too “facebookish”. I agree. After all, it’s a platform for professional discourse and interaction. Reality is I have had no interaction or constructive discourse, professional or otherwise. Maybe it’s just me. Wrong place. Wrong time. My age, looks, not professional enough. Who knows.

Personally, I think we, this human race, has become to socially networked. We’ve forgotten how to be human. Our lives have become meaningless without our smart phones and tech stuff. Yes, we need to keep up. We need to stay with the pace of change. Yet we also need to remain human. Human interaction has become a luxury. We don’t even want to shake hands any more.   


Now. Here is the challenge. If you have made your million by been profiled here or anywhere else, tell me. If, you are like that skeleton and me, still waiting, tell me. Maybe we can work this thing out together. Either way. I would love to network. Socially that is. I know we may never meet face to face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment